Many Americans take a good night’s sleep for granted without seriously considering how a good night’s sleep impacts our mental and physical health.
There have been numerous studies relating to the optimal amount of sleep humans need and how sleep impacts out mood and our ability to function optimally in our daily lives. The consensus of these studies is that a good night’s sleep is essential to live a healthy life.
A key finding of 2015 research conducted on behalf of the National Sleep Foundation titled the “2015 Sleep in America Poll” which focused on the sleep practices and beliefs of Americans and how this related to pain in adults.
The findings clearly pointed out that people who rate their health as very good or excellent where the people who on average got more sleep that those who rated their health as poor.
Does a sleep routine help?
The same study found that people who felt that going to bed at a reasonable time was very important to them resulted in these people having more sleep on a more consistent basis. This in turn resulted in the respondents who valued routine regarding sleep reporting that they experience better quality sleep and experienced fewer health issues.
A good sleep routine is therefore recommended especially when trying to form new habits that aid in overcoming snoring or bruxism.
How to get a good night’s sleep
- Maintain a sleep routine that aims to ensure that you have at least eight hours sleep each night.
- Invest in a good quality bed, pillows and bedding. You spend a great deal of time in bed and its essential that you are comfortable and that the environment is conducive to a good night’s sleep.
- Make use of a special sleep reminder and alarm app such as the Bedtime app on Apple Phones or other top sleeping apps that aid you with reminders to go to bed and have passive wake up alarms that slowly bring you out of deep sleep.
- Take care of your body and be mindful of the things you do before going to sleep so that you are not overly active in both mind or body. A good read and relaxing bath is always a great idea to slow down after a busy day and prepare yourself for a good night’s rest.
- Keeping healthy is proven to result in better sleep and so its highly recommended that you maintain an exercise routine, even if this is simply walking more each week than the last.